Sunday 17 February 2013

I want something healthy for breakfast with seeds...

...and no wheat, is what Andy said to me a couple of week ago!

Sadly my hubby isn't the greatest at eating breakfast, but in order to get himself on the right track he's decided that a flapjack and a smoothie would be the way forward, so I went about finding a simple recipe I could knock up each weekend that would give him his daily flapjack, and here's what I found at http://www.healthy-magazine.co.uk/

Makes 8-10, takes 25-30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 75g unsalted butter or polyunsaturated spread (I used Bertolli Light)
  • 125g runny honey
  • 25g demerara sugar (I leave this out and they taste sweet enough)
  • 250g rolled (porridge) oats
  • a handful of seeds (I use pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
  • a handful of chopped ready to eat dried fruit (I use apricots or berries)
  •  
    Method
    1. Butter or grease a 20cm (8in) square loose-bottomed baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/fan 160˚C/gas 4.
    2. Put the butter, honey and demerara sugar (if using) in a small pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.



    3. Measure the oats into a large mixing bowl (with seeds if using). Pour on the honey mixture and mix together well.
    4. Press the oat mixture into the prepared baking tin, levelling the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

      Before baking


       
      After baking
       
    5. Cut through the flapjack while it is still warm to mark out between 8 and 12 fingers or squares. Leave in the tin on a cooling rack until completely cold, then transfer to an airtight tin or container to store.

    Andy decided he didn't like them with both fruit and seeds (I did though!) so I alternate, one week seeds one week fruit - I've left him in charge of smoothie making...oh my poor blender!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment